20-Dec-2018Now Hiring: Fiber Optic Construction Technician
Fiber Optic Construction Technician
Issue Date: December 19, 2018
Number of Open Positions: 2
Location(s): Lexington and Millboro, Virginia
Compensation: Competitive /Dependent upon experience
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Fiber Construction Project Manager
BARC Connects, a wholly-owned subsidiary of BARC Electric Cooperative, is eagerly seeking two hard working and self-motivated individuals to join our growing team. BARC Connects seeks people who are capable of building and maintaining both overhead and underground fiber optic network service drops and lateral fiber runs.
Job Description Summary
This position will be hands-on in building fiber optic outside plant. Responsibilities include heavy equipment operation, directional boring, trenching, fiber splicing, utility pole framing, cable installation and service activation.
• Assist in the loading/unloading of equipment and supplies needed for daily work assignments, setting-up of worksite traffic and safety controls and properly securing work area.
• Hand dig with shovels, picks, digging bars to expose located utilities, access underground vaults and pedestals, and complete trenches.
• Operate mini-excavator, cable plow, jackhammers, pneumatic boring equipment (compressors & missiles), directional boring equipment and powered augers.
• Place conduit and/or cables in trenches, splice conduit sections (install couplers) as directed, place anchors, pedestals, vaults, etc. to complete construction tasks.
• Fully restore worksite at completion of daily work, refill trenches and holes, tamp soil, replant any plants or shrubs that were disturbed during our construction, place temporary asphalt on streets where excavations have been performed.
• When required and if appropriately licensed and authorized, drive or operate construction equipment used on the job site to complete daily work assignments.
• Clean and maintain all company vehicles and equipment assigned for use.
• Capable of working in all temperatures and climates.
• Able to perform physical tasks for the entire assigned work shift.
• Willingness to work shifts as assigned, including daily overtime when necessary.
• Possession of a valid driver’s license or capable and eligible to acquire a driver’s license.
• Must be able to pass background and drug screen.
• Perform all other tasks assigned by supervisor.
• Knowledge of fiber outside plant construction.
• The ability to read and interpret engineering drawings.
• 2 years of utility construction experience.
• CDL driver’s license. Requirements
• Ability to splice fiber.
• Must be available for emergency and on-call assistance after work hours, weekends.
• Ability to travel to be onsite and to work effectively outside in variable weather conditions.
• Support all company policies and safety practices.
• Competitive Pay
• Health Insurance: Medical, Dental, Vision and Prescription Plans
• Retirement Savings Plan (401K) with company contributions
• Short & Long Term Disability
• Supplemental Life Insurance
• Paid Holidays and Vacation (PTO)
To apply, please e-mail a cover letter and resume to Mike Keyser, Chief Executive Officer, at email@example.com. BARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.