08-Jun-2020Now Hiring: Staking Engineer
BARC Electric Cooperative (BARC) is a customer-focused, diversified rural electric cooperative, engaged in electric service, Internet services, and solar programs. Look no further if you are a highly skilled engineer and have a desire for excitement at a growing and forward-thinking cooperative.
The Staking Engineer will handle a diverse variety of situations, including work on electric projects and fiber projects.
Cooperation and great teamwork with fellow workers is not only promoted, it is a requirement of the position.
• Design of single-phase, three-phase, subtransmission, service drops, and other electric facilities.
• Drawing up work orders and preparing staking sheets.
• Securing right-of-way easements necessary for construction.
• Working to maintain mapping accuracy and completeness for posting to maps when construction has been completed. Performing any other system changes necessary to ensure map accuracy. Seeing that map alterations and revisions are current and up-to-date.
• Preparing cost estimates for line construction and relocations.
• Negotiating and coordinating with other utilities during construction projects to ensure minimal conflict and interruption of service.
• Receiving and field checking joint use requests of Cooperative facilities by other utilities. Reporting attachments not in compliance with specifications to his/her supervisor.
• Performing other duties and responsibilities as requested or directed.
• Assists in emergency maintenance/storm response.
• Performs ROW clearing when necessary to complete staking.
• Walking/traveling from pole-to-pole to determine appropriate clearance exists in accordance with BARC’s construction specifications.
• Conducting pole inventories.
• Identifying existing NESC violations.
• Gathering GIS data and tagging poles.
• Drawing up work-orders for poles with clearance or other issues.
• Developing plans and managing project areas where construction of fiber is occurring.
• Coordinating with VDOT and other foreign pole owners for access to ROWs.
• Working closely with BARC staff and consultants on the project.
Relating to Safety:
• Informs other employees of any unsafe condition that exists or may arise during construction or maintenance operation and assists in correcting the situation when necessary.
• Able to perform bucket rescue, and general first aid including adult CPR and automatic external defibrillator.
• Knows proper method of summoning aid on two-way radio.
The successful candidate will be expected to traverse difficult terrain when necessary, work outdoors in all types of weather, lift heavy objects on occasion and generally have the ability to complete challenging physical work.
• Must be a High School graduate
• Must maintain a valid Virginia Driver’s license
The successful candidate will be expected to:
• Obtain a Medic First Aid Certificate
• Obtain VDOT Work Zone Safety Certification (flagging training)
• Obtain AED certification
BARC offers a competitive compensation package including base salary, retirement (pension and 401(k) contributions) health/dental insurance, life insurance, performance bonuses, and paid time off.
Qualified applicants: Please submit a cover letter and resume to Cindy Andrews, Human Resources Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is open until filled.